Open for submissions
eLife is a venue for outstanding research in the life sciences and biomedicine, which ranges from the most fundamental and theoretical work, through to translational, applied, and clinical research.
Submissions are welcome in the following broad areas of research:
- Biochemistry (articles & editors)
- Biophysics & structural biology (articles & editors)
- Cell biology (articles & editors)
- Developmental biology & stem cells (articles & editors)
- Ecology (articles & editors)
- Epidemiology and global health (editors)
- Genes & chromosomes (articles & editors)
- Genomics & evolutionary biology (articles & editors)
- Human biology & medicine (articles & editors)
- Immunology (articles & editors)
- Microbiology & infectious disease (articles & editors)
- Neuroscience (articles & editors)
- Plant biology (articles & editors)
The academic editors use a swift and constructive process to identify highly influential research, from advances in basic understanding, to research with the potential to drive an entire field forward, and studies that demonstrate real-world outcomes. We publish articles that are judged to be important by any one of these criteria.
There is no minimum length for submissions. We welcome shorter articles, for example reporting interim findings, provided the conclusion is clear and the findings are novel and judged to be of high importance.
There is also no maximum length, but for longer articles we suggest that authors try not to exceed 5,000 words in the main text.
eLife is operated entirely independently of our funders. Editorial decisions are the sole responsibility of the academic editors. We encourage all scientists to submit their finest work to eLife, regardless of their sources of funding.